I produce spatial interfaces and software structures towards holistically
- Pioneer in Spatial Technologies: Tesla, Unity 3D, VERSES.IO, Lucasfilm, Microsoft
- Multiple industry landmark products: Tesla
Autopilot UI, Unity AR/MR contextual app framework, VERSES decentralized realtime spatial smart
contracts, Star Wars™ experiences for
Quest/VOID/MagicLeap, Oscar™ winning VR installation Carne-y-Arena, multiple
HoloLens launch experiences including first use in cancer surgery,
GPU accelerated data visualization for Excel 3D Maps, multiple
Kinect titles and gesture systems for computer-vision based
interaction, phylogenetic protein analysis tool HyperProtein 1.0, first GPU accelerated Windows (XAML for Windows XP).
- Microsoft - 10 years across Xbox 360, Kinect, Office (Excel 3D),
Windows Vista/10, HoloLens, etc.
- Lucasfilm - setup teams for success on “Vader
Immortal”, Magic Leap, and Oscar winning “Carne-y-Arena”.
- Unity 3D - managed SDK runtime team on next-gen augmented and mixed
reality development suite MARS.
- VERSES.IO/Lewcid.com - from deep in the blockchain and startup scene to full
- Clay figure
sculpting, physiology and yoga
courses: ~9 years
- Over 40 side-projects and numerous articles now at Lewcid.com: ~15 years
- 1/2021 – present: Tesla: Staff Software Engineer, Vehicle/Autopilot UI
- 10/2019 – 11/2020: Unity: Software Engineering Manager, Unity MARS
- 1/2018 – Present: Lewcid
Systems: Part-time Advisor
- 6/2018 – Present: VERSES.io: Director of Spatial
- 11/2018 – Present: Karuna Labs: Engineering Advisor
- 6/2016 – 12/2017: Lucasfilm / ILMxLAB (~1.5): Senior UX Engineer, AR/VR/On-Set
- 8/2006 – 4/2016: Microsoft, Senior Software Engineer
- 4/2012 – 4/2016: HoloLens Years (~4): Microsoft Studios,
Office and Showcases
- 10/2008 –11/2013: Kinect Years (~5): Microsoft Natural User
- 8/2006 –9/2008: Xbox 360 Years (~2): Microsoft Studios and
Xbox Platform Team
- 5/2002 –8/2006: College
Years (~4): University of Florida, Computer Science
- 5/2005 - 7/2005: Microsoft internship 2: Forza Motorsport 2 game
engine for Xbox 360
- 8/2004 - 5/2005: HyperCube Inc.: Graphics lead on HyperProtein
1.0 and HyperChem 8.0
- 1/2004 - 3/2004: Microsoft internship 1: Windows Vista (WFP
1/2021 – present: Tesla Inc. (
- Tesla - Staff Software
Engineer, Vehicle/Autopilot UI Framework, 1/2021 - present
- Lead developer on the UI for Autopilot and full self-driving;
including being point-of-contact between the Autopilot and Vehicle UI teams.
- Lead developer for the Vehicle UI Framework doing systems,
rendering and performance of on-screen controls and windows.
- Worked on the 2021 Model S refresh (Plaid), Tesla Vehicle Software
V11, Autopilot FSD beta 10.4+, etc.
10/2019 – 11/2020: Unity Technologies
( https://unity.com/ )
- Unity - Software Engineering
Manager, Unity MARS Runtime, 10/2019 - present
MARS is framework for authoring spatial apps that dynamically adapt
to different AR environments]
- Helped organize a team of 20 people, directly managing 6 across 8
months (and covid) to pull three years of prototyping into a well received 1.0-1.2 releases. Setup bug
tracking, release practises, backlogs and drove daily scrums; orchestrating major code refactors and
trained team on software maintenance practises.
- Implemented dynamic signed-distance-field “proxy
forces” to solve complex objects layouts in realtime; brought in
the idea of modelling the space around objects to help place them.
- Setup planning and infrastructure for Unity MARS and general XR at
Unity going forward.
1/2018 – present: Lewcid Systems LLC (
- Lewcid Systems LLC -
Founder, 1/2018 - present
- Numerous consulting clients across emergency management,
ground-penetrating-radar, and interactive biofeedback systems.
- Developed multi-dimensional data querying and visualization
framework across WebGL and Unity 2D/XR. Combined spatial and charting interfaces, with efficient tiling
and GPU transformation.
- [VERSES creates ‘spatial smart contracts’ for
industrial and smart city automation ]
- Director of Spatial Standards (9/2019 to present)
- Ongoing support for HSTP standard bodies, client deployments, and
- Director of Spatial Technologies (6/2018 to 9/2019)
- Formalized the HSTP (HyperSpace Transfer Protocol) specification,
designed the SDKs, and filed associated patents.
- Managed a team of six engineers delivering an integrated spatial-web
suite across numerous front-ends (iOS, Magic-Leap, ESRI, and WebGL) and backends (Blockchain, DID,
serverless Node.js, traditional SQL, etc.).
- Technical partner relationship management, and coordinating
integration plans with ESRI, Magic-Leap and other partners.
- [Karuna Labs creates VR movement experiences for
- Engineering Advisor 10/2019 - present
- Frequent check-ins on technical next steps, hiring, etc.
- Interim Engineering Lead 10/2019 - 12/2018
- Managed a team of four engineers, developing VR phantom-limb and
phantom-range-of-motion pain therapy experiences.
- Designed a full body character input, augmentation and animation
pipeline for medical quality range-of-motion, in-world visualization, and multiple pain-therapy
6/2016 – 12/2017: Lucasfilm/ILMxLAB, Senior UX
Engineer on AR/VR Experiences ( https://www.ilmxlab.com/ )
- Carne y Arena (Oscar© winning VR
experience directed by Alejandro González Iñárritu)
- Developed custom tracking solution, numerous dynamic effects, and
- Vader Immortal: A Star Wars VR Series (for Oculus Quest and Playstation VR)
- Built numerous gameplay and story tell prototypes, lead early
project setup and pre-production planning.
- Worked with John Gaeta, David Goyer and other industry legends.
- Star Wars: Secrets of the Empire (for
the VOID’s “Hyper Reality” VR+physical space at Disneyland)
- Built initial physical walkable prototype for Unreal, integrated
VOID’s SDK, setup for on-stage deployment, tuned motion tracking systems,
- Developed pipeline for designers and modelers to work effectively at
- Magic-Leap Collaboration (for
unannounced Magic-Leap AR device)
- Built numerous prototypes for augmented reality interactions and
features, working closely with the Magic Leap team on hardware and software features and functionality.
- Google Seurat Announce (for next gen
standalone mobile VR headsets)
- Developed pipeline to take ILM film quality renders directly into 3d
- Primary developer building and helped manage the Google relationship
from conception to release.
- Star Wars: Meet BB8 (conference VR
- Developer numerous BB8 interaction and play mechanics.
- for providing user experience and interaction leadership,
prototypes, and productized components across multiple experiences.
- Advanced Developments Group
- Developing multiple Augmented Reality and Virtual Reality
experiences from large-scale installations, to home VR, to Magic Leap augmented reality scenarios.
- Responsible for providing user experience and interaction
leadership, prototypes, and productized components across multiple experiences.
8/2006 – 5/2016: Microsoft Corp. (10 years, + 2 internships, https://www.microsoft.com/ )
4/2012 – 5/2016: HoloLens Years (~4
years): Microsoft Experiences, Research, Office and Showcases
- HoloLens Platform Team / Showcases, Senior
Engineer (5/2015 to 4/2016):
- Envisioning and co-prototyping holographic showcase experiences for
partners in numerous industries such as the retail, medical and design. Mentor for the Holographic
- Unannounced Medical Experience: Led project
from concept to pilot, for novel in-situ volumetric medical hologram, requiring high accuracy,
reliability and interface efficiency.
- Lowes and other Unannounced
Experiences: Developed both computer vision and interactive systems to align
holograms to real-world spaces, volumetric data support, etc.
- Microsoft Office / Excel 2016 3D Maps Team,
Graphics and GPU Lead (3/2014 to 5/2015):
- Responsible for 3D interaction and GPU-based data processing and
rendering in 3D Maps feature of Excel 2013/2016.
- Developed longer term plans around performance scalability,
integrating 2D systems, and doing distributed data querying.
- Microsoft Research Cambridge UK (Exchange Researcher in 3D Interaction, 11/2013 to 1/2014):
- Holographic data interaction research, resulting in an incubation
effort with the Office team.
- HoloLens Microsoft Studios Team (Product
Incubation and Development, half time with Kinect titles from 4/2012 to 3/2014):
- Augmented Reality interaction and storytelling prototypes for the teams behind
Holo-Skype, Young-Conker, Fragments, Holo-Studio and others.
- Early experiences for contextual communication, interactive data
visualization and in-world classification and search. Utilized a variety of hardware and natural user
interactions. Worked with partner teams to develop AR processes on new hardware.
10/2008 –11/2013: Kinect
Years (~5 years and 5 titles): Microsoft Natural User Interface
- Zoo Tycoon (Xbox 360/Xbox One,
Concept to Ship, 11/2013, Kinect Lead)
- Lead, designed and tuned the gestural Kinect 2.0 features for the
Xbox One launch including real-time augmented hand, cursor, face, and speech gameplay.
- Kinect Star Wars (Concept to Ship on 3/2012, ~4 years, Augmentation
- Goal: Avatar on screen moves like a Jedi, yet feels like it is your
- Developed Solution: identify and proportionally exaggerate the
kinesthetic experience of your own body, blending those exaggerations into custom tuned animations.
- Defined and lead the development of our avatar technology including our
extensive animation-authoring pipeline and augmented
- Designed and implemented numerous core interaction systems such as
Inverse Body Dynamics Muscle estimation, real-time content driven pose blending, and body reactive
- Prototyped and drove many of the core game mechanics from
'force' interactions, 40+ simultaneous gestures ground combat, to augmented walking and
holographic menu interactions.
- Kinect Disneyland Adventures (Concept to Ship, 11/2011, Kinect and Systems Engineering)
- Restructured and improved the in-game animation and augmentation
systems (including the core running, and hugging and magic throwing).
- Implemented numerous debugging and memory analysis tools to achieve
software stability and high fix rates for complex memory and multi co-routine based systems.
- Kinectimals (Concept to Ship,
10/2010, Kinect Interactions)
- Helped design and tune most of the core interactions from the RC
car, to throwing, and hand cuddling controls (straight line in your eye from actual hand, to virtual
hand, to kitten).
- Lead the prototyping and implementation of numerous 3d menu systems,
which finally achieved a kid friendly, easy to use, and context embedded solution.
- Kinect for Xbox 360 (Prototype to
Ship on 10/2010, Kinect Interactions)
- Was involved in many of the early hardware and software decisions,
numerous early prototypes, marketing strategies, evaluating game companies, generating pitches, etc.
- “Special Thanks” or ship credits on Kinectimals, Kinect Adventures and
Kinect Sports for launch.
- Bi-weekly NUI Tech calls between the platform and game studios for
the past three years, helping coordinate between teams from prototypes to shipping.
- Delivered two Gamefest talks (including the 2nd highest rated tech talk in 2010), and numerous smaller Kinect
partner team presentations.
8/2006 –9/2008: Xbox
360 Years (~2): Microsoft Studios and Xbox Platform Team
- 10/2007 - 9/2008: Performance Infrastructure and
Experience Engineering, DirectX / Xbox Platform Team (4 release cycles)
- Improved PIX for Windows and related technologies to better support numerous DirectX based Windows products
around the company from XNA, to Photosynth and the Windows shell.
- Provided designs and prototypes for a unified graphics and
performance analysis framework, that helped lead to the upcoming integration of timing and GPU debugging
technologies in Visual Studio.
- 7/2007 - 10/2008: Static and Dynamic Code Analysis
Team, XNA / Microsoft Game Studios
- Develop static, dynamic and memory analysis tools used across MGS
and gradually integrated into the Xbox platform.
- Performance and systems analysis for Alan
Wake, Viva Pi- ata and Fable II.
- 8/2006 - 7/2007: Forza Motorsport 2, Systems Team, Microsoft Game Studios (Production to Ship,
- Worked with artists on the environment and car rendering content
pipelines and runtime.
- Owned numerous systems and rendering optimizations, including
split-screen at 60 Hz, and even built the final rendering library on my PC before we shipped.
5/2002 –8/2006: College Years (~4): University of
Florida, Computer Science, 2 Internships
- 5/2002 - 8/2006: Computer Science (BS), University of
- Worked with Dr. Jorg Peters on virtual surgery simulations using
haptic feedback devices.
- Final project was a complete language from parser to high level
component syntax and optimizing compiler for HLSL, GLSL, and Render-man.
- 5/2005 - 8/2005: Second Microsoft Internship
(Graphics Pipeline Dev, Pre-Production)
- Helped port Rare’s R1 engine from Xbox to the - Xenon- Xbox 360
alpha kits for Forza 2 and other titles.
- Implemented automatic graphics shader generation, to exactly match
3ds Max procedural materials, including automatically disassembling, modifying and reassembling HLSL
- 8/2004 - 5/2005: Hyper Protein, HyperCube Inc. (Graphics and Bioinformatics Lead, Concept to
- Designed and implemented interactive tools for phylogenetic protein
analysis using quantum chemistry based molecular dynamics (exploring protein active sites through
combined sequence and structure)
- Structured a multi-document long term project interface for
correlating multi-sequence DNA alignments with 3d structural information, this was disputed but
ultimately proved most viable for focused research.
- 1/2004 - 3/2004: Windows Presentation Foundation
(WPF/Avalon) (Performance Dev, First Microsoft Internship)
- Worked on the Media Integration Layer (MIL) performance team to
instrument and create profiling tools for WPF’s native to managed communication layer, the engine
behind XAML (Windows UI Framework). As of 2010, these tools were still in use in the MIL performance
- 2002 - 2003: Won numerous real-time mobile device
- 3D Voxel carving using the Tablet PC (awarded two Tablet PCs for my
- Tools for drawing 3D SIRDS (“Magic Eye”) on the Pocket
PC (awarded a person Pocket PC)
- Intuitive Ink-based animation interface on the Tablet PC
(“Best Power Toy for Tablet PC”)
- Visceral Experiences: I take numerous courses on
Eastern visualization and meditation practices, including Kriya
Yoga training in India.
- Sculpture: I did live model figure sculpting and
courses at the Gage
Academy in Seattle. Important for understanding physical form and the nature
of gesture: http://www.lewcid.com/lg/sculpture/
- Reading: key favorites related to this
document: architecture (Vitruvius), sculpture (Rodin), dance (Hayes), acting (Boleslavsky), meditation
(Yogananda), philosophy (Rand), and computation (Feynman and Bill Gates).
- Website: posts on key topics such as 3D
hand gestures, augmented
recognition, as well as interactive experiences, like voxel
games, and other
tools. My site has been listed on Wikipedia for 3D
Go and realtime
SIRDS, and on sillier sites for Quake
mods and mathematics.
- Other: http://www.lewcid.com/lg/aboutme.html